Environmental and Sustainability Education
Environmental and Sustainability Education aims to educate Zhonghuarians on the importance of environmental conservation through a multi-disciplinary approach across academic subjects. In doing so, it also seeks to educate for Critical Inventive Thinking (MOE 21CC). These skills include the following: exploring possibilities and generating ideas in solving real-world problems , exercising sound reasoning and decision making that are evidence based and managing complexities and ambiguities in working in teams. In the process, our scholars and leaders of the future apply thinking skills and connect knowledge across subject disciplines to study environmental and sustainability issues, and care for growth that take into account our natural heritage: our trees, our clean air and our clean waters.
Here are some examples of what our students do:
- In language classes, students are exposed to articles closely linked to environmental themes. They are asked to reflect on these articles and suggest how one could contribute to making the Earth a more liveable place.
- In Geography and Science, students learn about the human interactions with the environment and conduct field studies to prove their hypothesis. For the more able students, they are provided with the opportunity to address an environmental project mentored by facilitators from tertiary institutions.
- In Mathematics, students are tasked to analyse data related to energy use in their homes, at the same time, learning the importance of ensuring the efficient and responsible use of energy.
- In Design and Technology, students go through a Design Thinking workshop where they will apply the skills learnt to design and build a product that promotes sustainability of current resources.
The ESE committee also plans and carries out broad-based and niche environmental activities to raise awareness on environmental issues.
Broad-Based Environmental Activities
Some examples of school-wide environmental activities conducted annually include:
- Earth Hour (One Hour Power Down)
- Earth Day
- World Water Day
- No Waste Days Challenge
- Zero Litter Footprint Movement
- Assembly talks by environmental societies
Niche Environmental Activities
Some examples of cohort/CCA/class-based environmental activities conducted annually include:
- Secondary One Mathematics and Science Trail at Changi Airport
- Secondary One Geography Field Trip at AMK-Bishan Park
- Secondary Two Mathematics and Science Trail at AMK-Bishan Park
- Secondary Two South-East Schools Eco-Kepalas Programmes in collaboration with NEA
- Secondary Three Stamp Out Dengue in collaboration with NEA and BHCC·
- Southeast Schools’ Clean and Green Week Carnival
- NEA Clean and Green Week Schools’ Carnival
Partnerships with External Organisations
Working closely with external partners, our Eco-Kepalas (students spearheading environmental projects) work in teams to investigate current environmental issues such as minimising waste or maintaining cleanliness within the school. Representatives from industrial partners provide real-life contexts for the Eco-Kepalas to think deeper about, propose solutions and test out the feasibility of their solutions.
In 2017, our Eco-Kepalas teams worked on these projects:·
- Educational kit to raise awareness on fridge food waste in collaboration with Sodexo Singapore Pte Ltd
- Up-cycling of used cardboards into newspaper collection stations in collaboration with Ricoh Singapore
- Educational kit to raise awareness on how to minimise wastage of food items (excluding perishable items) in collaboration with Food Bank Singapore
bin for canned drinks and plastic bottles in collaboration with Siloso Beach
Snapshots of some of our ESE activities
Water Rationing Exercise and Exhibition by PUB
Exhibition panels from Public Utilities Board on display in the school
Students using water from the pails instead
of taps during the water rationing exercise
Mo Kio – Bishan Park Mathematics and Science Trail
Ang Mo Kio – Bishan Park Mathematics and Science Trail
Students completing the tasks at each station
conducting water testing as well as using park structures to solve mathematical
Out Dengue 2017
Stamp Out Dengue 2017
Students engaging the residents using an online survey both in the HDB and private estates
Students from Sec 3N2 posing with a
resident during their outreach
Hour in School
Earth Hour in School
Outdoor lessons conducted during Earth Hour